Monday 16 February 2009

Random general update

It's been a while since I wrote on my blog.. I don't really have a theme to talk about right now but I guess I should write some sort of update!

So I spent the weekend in Torquay celebrating my Grandad's 80th birthday with all my family. His birthday's on Valentine's Day, which is pretty cool. Here's a pic of Torquay, a seaside town in the SW of England (in Devon) and, if you've ever heard of it, the location of the famous comedy Fawlty Towers.



But it was a super tiring weekend at the same time. I came back this morning (Monday) and had to wake up at 5am to catch the Eurostar. I hope my students wont detect too much fatigue in my classes today..

If you're ever planning a holiday in the UK, there are some nice seaside resorts. Torquay is one of the most touristy, but Devon's definitely a viable candidate if you want relatively good weather and nice beaches. Corwall (the most south-west county in England) is the other possibility: towns like Newquay, Falmouth, Polzeth or Fowey. Newquay is actually pretty damn good for surfing, and there are surfing championships there each summer! I love surfing, wish I had more opportunities to do it, 'cos I'm still a total beginner!

:)

3 comments:

marilena said...

Hello Dave !
I've been in the UK many times, but I always travel in the same aera (London and Sussex) . I think there are some nice seaside resorts, but the problem is the weather....The countryside is really beautiful aswell. I really like the old cottages and landscapes you can find there. It gives me the impression to go back in the past.... As I live in North of France, I must admit I look for nice weather during my holiday...so, I often go somewhere else. But, I am fortunate to have relatives who live there which gives me the chance to go anyway

David Tattam said...

of course the weather is a big disadvantage - many people would ask the question: why stay in northern France / England for the summer, when there is no guarantee that it will be sunny!?

well at least when it is sunny you really enjoy it!! if you go into Cornwall (the most south-west you can possible go in the UK) then you can find a really nice combination of countryside and seaside. my girlfriend is lucky enough to have parents who have bought a little holiday cottage right by the sea in a really small fishing village. it's great there!

Camille said...

Well, I really do think that the weather is not a BIG problem. In fact, I really hope so, because next week I will be in Manchester. I don't understand why everyone's laughing when I told them about my placement's town... :)
Nevermind, I think I'm gonna spend my summer holidays in Bretagne, and then, perhaps, I will become a frog. Maybe...